Google SOC project POSIXFIFOs

Thu Mar 20 13:57:55 UTC 2008

Wei Shen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am very interested in Implementing POSIX FIFOs for RTEMS, and would
> like to apply for it.
> I have quite some kernel development experience with Linux, and
> several other OSse including OpenSolaris and L4 mircro-kernels, but
> just a few experience in RTEMS.
You will feel at home eventually.  There is a method to the RTEMS source
tree
and the code is mostly straight-forward to reward.

> I will try to further investigate related issues, before submitting a
> proposal. It would be appreciated if any of you could provide help and
> suggestions.
> From the open project page, I learn that reusing buffering code of
> termios with FIFO is prefered, so is there any documentation on
> termios buffering?
Hmm... read that carefully.. it said you MIGHT be able to refactor the
buffering code
out of termios into a common ring buffer handler.  It also said that it
might be
impossible because the canonical character processing might be too
intertwined.

The code for termios is in cpukit/libcsupport/termios*.  The question to
answer is
is the buffering code extractable.  That's one part of the project.

The other parts are implementing the required buffering somehow,
adding the hooks into the IMFS (In-Memory File System), adding tests,
and making sure everything still works.

A critical part of this task is determining how the blocking will be
implemented
as two tasks read and write from the buffer.

--joel