Eclipse GSOC Projects

Alan Cudmore Alan.P.Cudmore at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 24 03:21:30 UTC 2008

Here is my take on the Eclipse integration and configuration GUI
projects:

Eclipse Integration can include a lot of sub-projects. Some require
no real work, just using existing tools and plug-ins. Others require
a development effort and a pretty good knowledge of developing plug-
ins. Some of the sub-projects include:

1. Basic cross development integration. This can be accomplished
using Eclipse and the CDT ( C/C++ development toolkit ). There are at
least a few on this list who have accomplished that. The possible
work here is just documenting the process of setting it up, and
deciding how the RTEMS applications will be built: Do you want to use
the makefiles from the examples ( RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH ) or go with
Chris Johns autoconf/automake based examples?

2. GNU debugger integration. This can be accomplished using the Zylin
Embedded CDT plugin:
http://www.zylin.com/embeddedcdt.html
I'm not sure if there are any other RTEMS specific things that could
enhance the debugger interface in Eclipse. Perhaps when using CEXP
and the RTEMS GDB stub, you can build a module and click a button to
download it to the target?

3. Terminal program: There are Eclipse plug-ins that provide serial
terminal emulation. This would provide an integrated terminal program
( or even telnet if you want to use a target shell over the network ).

4. Integration of RTEMS with the Eclipse Device software development
platform: The Eclipse DSDP is an effort to use eclipse as a standard
way of developing , debugging and otherwise interacting with embedded
devices. Website here: http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/
There are many sub-projects in there, but some of the interesting
ones are:
     Device Debugging:
       http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/dd/

      Target management:
       http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/
One of the interesting aspects of this is how Wind River has adopted
Eclipse as the platform for vxWorks and Embedded Linux development.
To me it appears that they are putting significant effort into
contributing code back to the DSDP platform and trying to help create
open standards for this type of development environment. It would be
nice if this work ends up meaning that an Eclipse platform could talk
to a target server on either vxWorks, Linux, or RTEMS. I'm sure it
still has a long way to go before that would happen, but it is
interesting.

5. Configuration GUI. If we are talking about a complete Eclipse
integration, then I think it makes sense to build an eclipse plugin
for an RTEMS configuration editor and perhaps a new project wizard.
At GSFC, we developed similar eclipse plug-ins for our higher level
application software configuration, so we ( not me personally ) have
some experience in developing these. Our plug-in used XML to store
the configuration parameters, and then could generate the C header
file for compilation.
Of course if the goal is not Eclipse integration, then any other
cross platform GUI might work:
GTK+, QT, wx, or even Java

Once some or all of these things are done, then how is it
distributed? Can we package up a custom RTEMS eclipse, or just
provide an easy way to take an eclipse release and install the
necessary plug-ins? In other words, how can it be made a nice easy
out of the box experience?

Another thing that I feel strongly about is to make sure that
something is not done to RTEMS that would require a developer to use
Eclipse or any other IDE. I'm sure there are some here that would
rather not touch an IDE like eclipse :)

So the scope of this effort is probably beyond the effort of one
student, but it might be worthwhile to layout an eclipse plan, and
pick parts of the work that could be done this summer.

BTW, I am willing to serve as a mentor for this work, so feel free to
discuss this with me.

Alan