Another GSOC application

Wed Mar 26 15:29:06 UTC 2008

André Keller Abadie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To begin with, congratulations for being accepted this year! I know
> I'm a little late, but I'm still interested in applying for the Google
> Summer of Code.
>
> I've been working with RTEMS for 8 month on a Student Satellite
> Project known as ITASAT, for the erc32 and blackfin architecture
> (Alain Schaefer used to take part on this same project). Throughout
> this period, I've found a few important features to be missing and
> this seems a a great opportunity to start working on them.

Cool.  Alain is a great guy.
> Specifically for the GSOC, I'm interested in implementing the Async IO
> methods. (By the way, what would be the benefits of having multiple
> server threads in this Async IO system?)

It is a good project and having the option to configure a pool of 1 or
more server
threads is a good idea.  It could be application configurable.

For that matter, you might be able to extract the notion of a thread
pool into something
the user could provide plugins to for the specifics of the message
processor function.
Does that make sense?

Threads asynchronously queue requests, check on them, server pulls
requests out
and processes them.  The queuing, checking, and server pool
infrastructure is
basically independent of what the actual job is.  In C++, this would be
a good place
for a class with an abstract function to override.  But in C, we have to
resort to
indirect function calls and providing sizeof structures.
> Another idea concerns a project that may become my Undergraduate
> Thesis. I've been thinking in adapting I-Logix Rhapsody in order to
> have a UML tool (with great code-generation capabilities) for rtems on
> erc32. This would make possible the use of modern Software Engineering
> concepts, leading to fast model-driven development and analysis of
> real-time embedded software.
>
> Which idea do you think would suit the project best?

Although I think i-Logix Rhapsody and Rose Rational support would
be great for RTEMS, they are for commercial products and I do not
think that would be in the spirit of the SOC.

Anyone out there looking for a summer intern who wants to do
this?  Google isn't the only one who can sponsor a project you know. :-D