Grub QEMU

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Fri Mar 28 13:40:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

I think script is over complicated. IIRC few years ago while I've been
running RTEMS in Qemu I've used Linux grub installation tool to just put
Grub on floppy and then I've modified Grub menu manually before booting.
Now I see Solaris (my current OS) and Linux's Grub installation tools
differ a bit (so I'm not able to test it now), but anyway:

http://linux.die.net/man/8/grub-install

might help. What does it do if you supply just:

mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
grub-install --root-directory /floppy

as a root? Assuming your /dev/fd0 holds FAT formated floppy and your
Linux distro is also using Grub for booting. If I understand it well
this should create Grub boot floppy with your current Grub config, i.e.
suitable for rescue floppy if you override your disk masterboot record.

Cheers,
Karel

Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com