Grub QEMU

Daron Chabot daron.chabot at usask.ca
Fri Mar 28 14:02:12 UTC 2008

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> I don't think the script in the Wiki is from me.
> Besides I failed last time I tried to make a new
> grub boot floppy. :(
>
> Can someone give him a hand?
>
> Thanks.

I was playing around with Qemu yesterday. The latest version (0.9.1) has
the ability to load executable images from the local (host) filesystem
using Qemu's built-in TFTP server.

Although I believe Qemu comes with some Etherboot images, I just
obtained an image on my own (http://rom-o-matic.net),
eb-5.4.3-rtl8129.zrom, for the ne2k NIC.

So, to run the RTEMS sample executables (e.g. cdtest.exe), I invoke Qemu
like this:

chabotd at opi2043-001--> qemu -no-reboot -m 128 -boot n -hda
~/Desktop/eb-5.4.3-rtl8129.zrom -tftp
/opt/rtems/i386-rtems/pc386/lib/rtems-4.8/tests -bootp /cdtest.exe

Don't forget the leading "/" in front of the file to be loaded ! I had
to step through qemu with gdb to find out why my file wouldn't load...

-- dc