Google summer of code

Kliakhandler Kosta public at kosta.tk
Fri Mar 28 20:00:44 UTC 2008

   Thanks for your comments!

   Quoting Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com>:

> Kliakhandler Kosta wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm interested in working on RTEMS for Google summer of code. I'm
>> particularly interested in working on tinyRTEMS and porting it to
>> an lpc2138 board (which I posseess). I never used it (RTEMS), but
>> I  am developing an application on the mentioned board and although
>> I  didn't plan to use an rtos yet, the project will in general
>> benefit  from it.
>>
> OK. There has been a lot of discussion on TinyRTEMS this week so I
> am not going to repeat any of that.  It's Friday and I am tired. :)

   I joined the list only a couple of days ago so I didn't see it, but
I will definitely take a read it when I find the archives... (while
writing this email I found it :)

> Some suggestions.  You are proposing an lpc2138 BSP.  So I see
> a few obvious tasks in your proposal:
>
> + BSP for real hardware
> + BSP runs on Skyeye simulator

   AFAIK skyeye doesn't run lpc21xx yet - if so, that will probably be
another task.. I haven't worked with skyeye either yet - Is there a
significant difference (for rtems or otherwise) for code which runs on
skyeye as opposed to code which runs on HW?

> From a TinyRTEMS perspective, there are lots of ideas and you will have to
> decide which tickle your fancy. How much memory is available on your
> target hardware?

   I'm thinking about what I want to do right now. I was hoping for
some guidance about which features seemed most useful to the developers.

> Do you have any display option?  If so, consider adding Microwindows/Nano-X
> support to your proposal.

   I have an lcd character screen - I don't know whether it qualifies
as a "display", but I certainly will consider it.

>> If possible, I would like some guidence regarding what is
>> important, times, and general advice regarding writing a proposal
>> for this project.
>>
> The student proposal deadline is approaching soon but you still have time
> to make a proposal.  I think there are guidelines at the SOC site on what
> outline to follow.  SOC has a schedule and your proposal should track that
> with activities in stages that make sense based upon that.

   I realized that - I meant it in an rtems centric way.. I realise
that times for developing the various projects differ between
developers, but I was hoping for some suggestions on the projects to
take, so that my proposal wouldn't turn out unacheivable due to a
massive amount of work on the one hand, or "unsatisfactory" because I
proposed things which were too small... I guess what's left to do is
to write a proposal and hope I'll have time to revise it according to
suggestions...