debian package for RTEMS

x ray rayx.cn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 02:55:57 UTC 2008

In fact the current rpm install way is fine for Linux user with some
experience. I also installed rpm on my archlinux box, which need an extra
step of rpmunpack. However it is true that I do have some problems on
installing the rpm on my ubuntu for sparc toolchain last year. So, it would
be nicer that:

1)      RTMES toolchain can be downloaded on the dabian/rtems ftp site just
like what we did for FreeBSD with all dependence being considered.

2)      An over-all install package is provided. Or sth like cygwin which
have a check box let user choose which pack to download and install. It is
hard for a new user to remember installing so may packages like binutils,
bin-common, automake, autoconf, gcc-common, gcc, g++, gdb, newlibc, and the
correspondent soourcecode.

3)      Deb and ubuntu is the 2nd in linux world. It will be helpful if a
direct install pkg is provided

4)      Insight is added into the toolchain(My small wish :P )

2008/3/31, Alain Schaefer <alani at easc.ch>:

> Hi Ralf  & Bimal,
>
> The deadline is quickly approaching, but since I have worked with RTEMS
> on Debian Systems quite a bit I'll throw in my two cents ......
> Since Ralfs questions quite come to the point I'll just reply to them.
>
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Bimal,
> >
> > I think, I am the one to answer this - Please bare with me if I might be
> > missing some information, but I have been AFK most of the time last week
> > and have my rtems mail folder filled with dozens of unread mails ;)
> >

> > First of all, thanks for wanting to take a stab on this.
> >
> > So, let me ask a couple of questions wrt. proposal:
> >
> > 1. What do you want to package?
> > The GNU-toolchains (binutils, newlib, gcc, gdb) or RTEMS itself?
>
> RTEMS itself is the least usefull of them. In my opinion it only makes
> sense,
> to quickly run the demo applications in a  simulator. Altough you could
> also create a RTEMS Source Package.
>

> > 2. Which distributions do you want to address?
> > Like with rpm-based distros, there exists a plethora of Debian'ish
> > packaged distros, not only one.
>
> I have built the RTEMS toolchain with pbuilder. With pbuilder it is
> very, very easy to build for various different debian'ish systems.
>

> > 3. Though I agree that deb packages would be convenient users of
> > Debian'ishly packaged distros, I question the technical need to do so,
> > because at least on original Debian distros it had been possible to use
> > "alien" to import rpms. Doesn't this apply anymore?
>
> Altough the idea of alien is brilliant, in my experience it rarely works
> without hassle.
> I have ended up building .deb for rtems-bfin because I was too stupid to
> install
> your (Ralfs) rpms with alien on my ubuntu system.
>

> > On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 15:31 +0530, bimal varghese wrote:
> > > i am attaching my
> > > proposal for creating a debian package for RTEMS
> > > any suggestions for improvement and  correction of errors
> > > in the proposals are accepted
> >
> > Comments interspersed:
> >
> > > Title
> > > -----
> > >
> > >         Creating Debian package for  RTEMS
> > >

> > > Synopsis
> > > --------
> > >
> > >         I will build a debian package for RTEMS with all dependencies
> > > taken
> > > care of. I will also write shell/Perl scripts which makes it possible
> > > automate the package creation process.
>

> > Our build-machines all are Fedora-i386 and Fedora-x86_64-based.
> >
> > Do you plan to add cross-distribution packaging (e.g. building Debian
> > packages on Fedora or Debian/i386 on Ubuntu/x86_64)?
>
> As mentioned before, Debian -> Ubuntu is quite easy but building
> everything on a Fedora machine might be a bit more challenging.
>

> > > Project Schedule

> [...]

Thanks & Best Regards!

Ray, Xu