how do I use shell.c?

Ian Caddy ianc at goanna.iinet.net.au
Thu May 1 01:01:13 UTC 2008

Hi Mike,

mike wrote:
> I'm new to RTEMS. Is the file shell.c in .../cpukit/libmisc/shell
> something like vxWorks' shell? How do I make use of this
> RTEMS shell?
>
> Is there anything else that I can use to display/monitor/manipulate a
> running system
> in realtime (tasks/semaphores/resources/rearrange priorities etc...)?

The shell (and monitor) works for us, although we are using an older
version of RTEMS and the shell was not integrated into RTEMS at the
time.  Our shell has also been cusotmised to add our specific commands
that we required for our applications as well.

All you need to do so start the shell is call:

shell_init  (at the bottom of shell.c)

with the required parameters for your system.  The main one being where
you want your console to live which would be one of your serial port
devices I assume.

It is also possible to use the shell through telnet as well through the
pty interfaces, but you need to make sure the telnet server is also started.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Ian Caddy
--