PPC403 clock code

Thu May 1 13:07:51 UTC 2008

Nigel Spon wrote:
> I'm going to need to make changes to the PPC403 clock driver code, as
> it assumes that 'ppc405' means PPC405GP, and the PPC405EX has
> different DCRs. The code contains a lot of #ifdefs on (a) the ppc405
> and (b) PPC_HAS_CLASSIC_EXCEPTIONS (ahem). I know RTEMS doesn't
> support 'classic' exceptions any more, so I presume that could come
> out. It looks as though the PPC403 isn't really supported any more
> either, as the helas403 BSP has gone, and the chip isn't sold any more.

The hela403 was removed because Thomas didn't have the
resources (or HW debugger) anymore to debug it if it
had been updated to "PIC interrupt model".

If you can strip the "classic exceptions" and with minor
changes make it work for you that would be better.
> Should I derive a PPC405, new-exceptions-only clock.c and put it in my
> BSP, make minimal modifications to the old code, or follow some other
> course?

Ideally targets in RTEMS have a long life.  Many users
come to RTEMS for long life and transitions from old
platforms.  But killing it is an option if it is too much trouble.