VERY(!) slow FTP sometimes

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Thu May 15 15:56:51 UTC 2008

Hello, all.

I incorporated the RTEMS ftpd to my MPC8247 at 150MHz based board with 100BT FCC
controller and made several main tests - everything seems to work fine. I can
upload/download files by Linux ftp client, FireFox in Linux and IE in
Windows.

Now, when I decided to test the speed, I encountered the following VERY
strange numbers:
1. IE as a client: in 100% of attempts the speed was about 14-16 KB/s.
2. FireFox(Linux) as a client:
	- in 90% of attempts the speed was about 400-460KB/s
	- in about 10% - 7-8 KB/s.
Even in the "good" FireFox tests (above 400KB/s) the behavior looks also
strange a bit: it immediately starts at some number (once at 410KB/s, then at
450KB/s, etc...) and does not change never more.

1. What may be the cause of the VERY low speed cases?
2. Is the "good" speed really good for my case? Can somebody provide numbers
from his/her experience?

Thanks.
--
Leon