VERY(!) slow FTP sometimes

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Thu May 15 23:16:48 UTC 2008

On Thursday, 15 בMay 2008, Till Straumann wrote:
> You should probably also say what RTEMS filesystem the files
> you are up/down-loading are residing on, how big they are
> etc.
The test file is about 1GB size.
File system is not RTEMS but our own. Measurements show that our performance
is about 5MB/s sustained read.
I did not provide all this details as I thought that as my filesystem
performance is much higher the details are irrelevant. Sorry, if this is not
so...

> Also, you want to make sure the duplex settings are right
> on both sides.
Please, explain this more detailed.
The only "duplex setting" which I seem to know is the Ethernet Phy's duplex
state. If this is the case, then - yes, PC's and RTEMS box are connected via
the 100BT full duplex switch. I also checked cables to be standard.
As a double check, I also replaced the switch with 10BT HUB and saw about 30%
less performance (about 320KB/s).

Hmm..... Well, I shall do the tests again with direct connection, although
this is a good switch and no other connections....

Still, do you think that these details may explain the 7KB/s case?

And can you name some example figures of CPU+FTP sustained transfer rate?

> T.
Thank you!