HEADSUP: Massive rtems-4.10 toolchain changes ahead

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Nov 20 06:59:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

In preparation for newlib-1.17.0, we are about to gradually switch the
rtems-4.10 toolchains to newlib versions from newlib'cvs[1] and to apply
a couple of further major changes to newlib.

This step will introduce major incompatibilities to previous versions of
the toolchains, which will likely render older rtems-4.10 toolchains
non-applicable with rtems-4.10/rtems-CVS-HEAD.

People who are using the rtems-4.10 yum repos will automatically receive
updates to their toolchains, all others should feel encouraged to follow
up [2].

Please take my apologies for the inconvenience, the churn and the
breakdowns this all will likely cause, but sometimes such steps are
inevitable - Remember, rtems-4.10 is the unstable, "bleeding edge"
version of RTEMS ;)

Ralf

[1] This version is expected to converge towards newlib-1.17.0 by the
end of this year.

[2] Upstream newlib does not ship pre-release snapshot tarballs, which
forces us to cut them ourselves. As a convenience, I plan to upload the
tarballs and patches the rpms are based on, to
ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/SOURCES/4.10/