Powerpc vectors_init.c

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 19 23:47:27 UTC 2008

Jennifer Averett wrote:
> I am updating the score603e and ep1a bsps, and am a little confused about when to use the vectors_init.c in the bsp shared directory vs when to use the one in libcpu/powerpc/new-exceptions...  It appears that the gen5200 uses one, while the motorola uses the other.  Does anyone know what the differences are, and what the pro's and con's of each are?

Yes. The version in libbsp/powerpc/shared is *deprecated*.
DO NOT USE for new BSPs or when reworking existing ones.

The code was left there so that existing BSPs which have not
been upgraded yet continue to work.
(see libbsp/powerpc/shared/irq/README.deprecated,
 libbsp/powerpc/shared/vectors/README.deprecated)

Many BSPs used to 'copy/paste/cook-their-own-soup' AKA
'derive' from libbsp/powerpc/shared' which made maintaining
this low-level code a real pain.

libcpu/powerpc/new-exceptions

was written mostly from scratch and tries to provide a more
generic framework for CPU and BSP code to use.

There is a README (libcpu/powerpc/new-exceptions/bspsupport/README)
which hopefully explains things.

You can look at the mvme3100 BSP as an example of a BSP that uses
the new framework. No 'vectors' subdirectory and most things from 'irq'
have gone because the BSP mostly uses code from the generic
framework.

HTH
-- Till