plugin mods

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Nov 24 09:10:48 UTC 2008

Robert Fu wrote:

>> CC: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de; rtems-users at rtems.org
>> From: daronchabot at gmail.com
>> Subject: plugin mods
>> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:21:44 -0600
>> To: robert.fu at live.com
>>
>> I've committed several modifications & additions to the plugin. Check
>> out the CVS version tag v0_1.
>>
>> Sebastian, Robert: lemme know if this version works for you as
>> expected on Linux and Windows (respectively), 'cause it works on my
>> Mac :-)
>
> This is great news! Thanks a lot for making it work on Mac!  I also had
> a sense
> of relief, since now it's been proved that it also worked on another
> platform
> after modifications. I guess like other things, once it's done, it looks
> much easier
> than it initially appears to be.
>
> I checked out source as you instructed, and it still works on Windows.
> The HelloWorld program
> generated from your new template was build successfully, and remote
> debugging
> also worked for the program generated from the 1st template.

It is still not working for me.  It says that the toolchain is not
supported.  I set the following environment variables before the eclipse
startup:

RTEMS_TOOL_DIR=/opt/rtems-4.9
RTEMS_INSTALL_DIR=/opt/rtems-4.9
RTEMS_TARGET_TOOL_DIR=/opt/rtems-4.9/i386-rtems4.9
RTEMS_INSTALL_BSP_DIR=/opt/rtems_install/i386-rtems4.9/pc686/lib
RTEMS_TARGET_CPU_GCC_LIB_DIR=/opt/rtems-4.9/lib64/gcc/i386-rtems4.9/4.3.0/mpentiumpro

>> Mods include:
>> 1) removing arch/os limitations for host machine
>
> I took a look at your changes to plugin.xml, as what you mentioned before,
> it seems that hard-coded arch/os (win32) in plugin.xml is one of the
> main reasons
> why it did not work on Mac initially.
>
>> 2) remove unnecessary flags/options
>> 3) add more stringent testing for the value of
>> RTEMS_BSP_DEFINED_SYMBOLS. Robert, i don't think any of the values
>> you state for this var in the wiki are required.
>
> Your reason of removing shared libgcc makes sense to me. For removing
> -D_REENTRANT
> and your comments about RTEMS_BSP_DEFINED_SYMBOLS, which contains
> macro like -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1  ...
> I don't know if it's right.
>
> These macros including -D_REENTRANT come with the generated Makefiles
> like the Makefile for HelloWorld example. I guess removing it might not
> cause
> compilation or link to fail, but you might actually get different code to
> be included or linked.
>

>> Addition of a simpler, "Hello World" template. In fact, it is just
>> the code from testsuites/samples/hello. Note, the page immediately
>> following the New C Project & Executable->Rtems Hello World Template:
>> this is just a quick & dirty example of how we could override
>> settings from a Preference Page.
>
> I saw them. Looks nice.

That looks nice. I try use this for the newWizardPages extension point
so that we can use this for any RTEMS project (and not only for this
template).

>> I'll commit a Preference addition to the plugin (probably tomorrow).
>> This will provide a semi-static place to store critical variables like:
>> 1) RTEMS_INSTALL_LOCATION (eg: /opt/rtems)
>> 2) RTEMS_ARCH: (eg: i386)
>> 3) RTEMS_BSP: (eg: pc386)
>>
>> Like I said before, that way we only pollute Eclipse's environment
>> variables and we'll have a (consistent) way to access them through
>> the build system and plugin machinery.
>
> Agree, it's better.

I am eager to see how this plug-in preferences work.

>> I going to go sulk now, 'cause Calgary won the Grey Cup... :-( I
>> think some sorrow drowning is in order.
>>

>> -- dc
>>
>> BTW -- Sebastian, what's up with the cvs project
>> "org.rtems.cdt.toolchain2" ??

I needed an empty test project.

--
Sebastian Huber, Embedded Brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
PGP     : Public key available on request