plugin mods

Robert Fu robert.fu at live.com
Mon Nov 24 08:41:14 UTC 2008

> CC: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de; rtems-users at rtems.org> From: daronchabot at gmail.com> Subject: plugin mods> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:21:44 -0600> To: robert.fu at live.com> > I've committed several modifications & additions to the plugin. Check > out the CVS version tag v0_1.> > Sebastian, Robert: lemme know if this version works for you as > expected on Linux and Windows (respectively), 'cause it works on my > Mac :-)

This is great news! Thanks a lot for making it work on Mac!  I also had a sense
of relief, since now it's been proved that it also worked on another platform
after modifications. I guess like other things, once it's done, it looks much easier
than it initially appears to be.

I checked out source as you instructed, and it still works on Windows. The HelloWorld program
generated from your new template was build successfully, and remote debugging
also worked for the program generated from the 1st template.
> > Mods include:> 1) removing arch/os limitations for host machine

I took a look at your changes to plugin.xml, as what you mentioned before,
it seems that hard-coded arch/os (win32) in plugin.xml is one of the main reasons
why it did not work on Mac initially.
> 2) remove unnecessary flags/options> 3) add more stringent testing for the value of > RTEMS_BSP_DEFINED_SYMBOLS. Robert, i don't think any of the values > you state for this var in the wiki are required.

Your reason of removing shared libgcc makes sense to me. For removing -D_REENTRANT
and your comments about RTEMS_BSP_DEFINED_SYMBOLS, which contains
macro like -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1  ...
I don't know if it's right.

These macros including -D_REENTRANT come with the generated Makefiles
like the Makefile for HelloWorld example. I guess removing it might not cause
compilation or link to fail, but you might actually get different code to
be included or linked.

> > Addition of a simpler, "Hello World" template. In fact, it is just > the code from testsuites/samples/hello. Note, the page immediately > following the New C Project & Executable->Rtems Hello World Template: > this is just a quick & dirty example of how we could override > settings from a Preference Page.

I saw them. Looks nice.
> > I'll commit a Preference addition to the plugin (probably tomorrow). > This will provide a semi-static place to store critical variables like:> 1) RTEMS_INSTALL_LOCATION (eg: /opt/rtems)> 2) RTEMS_ARCH: (eg: i386)> 3) RTEMS_BSP: (eg: pc386)> > Like I said before, that way we only pollute Eclipse's environment > variables and we'll have a (consistent) way to access them through > the build system and plugin machinery.

Agree, it's better.