RES: RES: Who is RobertF?

Wendell Pereira da Silva wendell.silva at compsisnet.com.br
Mon Nov 24 13:28:19 UTC 2008

De: Robert Fu [mailto:robert.fu at live.com]
Enviada em: sábado, 22 de novembro de 2008 17:19
Para: Wendell Pereira da Silva
Cc: rtems-users at rtems.org
Assunto: RE: RES: Who is RobertF?

Hi Wendell,

Thanks a lot for your information about VMWare. It increases my confidence about VMWare.

In your short message, you actually mentioned something interested to me. Using Google translator, I briefly browsed COMPSIS website. With 19 years of history, I guess COMPSIS is a big company with a lot of resource and is involved in activities important to your country. I'm new to RTEMS, and have very limited resource: just some spare time outside working hours and limited personal funding, so I'll need a lot of help from RTEMS community on various RTEMS issues down the road.

Not at all. :-)

Limited available resource is one of the reasons I'm using VMWare now. In the past I abandoned some hardware (a waste to already limited funding), either after finding out it's unsuitable or outdated due to the limited time I can work on it. This time I hope using VMWare first can help me avoid some of such costs. For example, like you mentioned about 2 UARTs, since I already use one UART for remote debugging, I better select hardware kit with more than 2 UARTs (for sensor interface). Now with Eclipse plug-in and GDB working in my environment, I plan to shift focus to hardware part.

Although RTEMS currently does not support the gigabit ethernet on the hardware kit that I have in mind, I'm still interested in how you made GDB server interface via TCP/IP work in RTEMS. To my understanding, RTEMS is a system with single process, and GDB server is another process, so how do you launch GDB server in RTEMS?

Robert, what we did was a custom implementation of a GDB Server interface inside SIS (SPARC Instruction Simulator) through a TCP/IP socket. So the RTEMS program (running on the SIS) is not aware about this interface. RTEMS already has a glue code to implement the GDB interface for some targets, including i386, but not for SPARC processors.

You also mentioned GPIO simulation with PC's parallel port. For the hardware kits I have in mind, some have 4-bit In/4-bit OUT GPIO, some don't. I checked Discrete Driver chapter in RTEMS BSP and Device Driver Development Guide. There are descriptions about the driver, but no concrete example code is given. Do you know where I can find such a concrete example? Also in c\src\lib\libbsp\i386\shared\comm\i386_io.h, there some macros like outp(port, val) and inp(port) calling assembly code directly. May such macros be used to access GPIO pins directly without using the discrete driver?

In the same way, we implemented the GPIO code inside SIS. That is, when the RTEMS program access the address of the GPIO registers it redirects such access to the PC's parallel port mapped through VMWare.

Thanks a lot for your help, and have a nice weekend!

No problem.

Robert Fu

Wendell.