RES: RES: Who is RobertF?

Mon Nov 24 15:52:30 UTC 2008

Wendell Pereira da Silva wrote:

> [...]
Although they haven't spoke up, I know of another project that is doing all
development inside  VMWare.  This lets all team members have exactly
the same host environment.  When there are tool upgrades, a new OS
image is released and everyone switches to it.

> In your short message, you actually mentioned something interested to
> me. Using Google translator, I briefly browsed COMPSIS website. With
> 19 years of history, I guess COMPSIS is a big company with a lot of
> resource and is involved in activities important to your country. I'm
> new to RTEMS, and have very limited resource: just some spare time
> outside working hours and limited personal funding, so I'll need a lot
> of help from RTEMS community on various RTEMS issues down the road.
>

> Not at all. J
>

> Limited available resource is one of the reasons I'm using VMWare now.
> In the past I abandoned some hardware (a waste to already limited
> funding), either after finding out it's unsuitable or outdated due to
> the limited time I can work on it. This time I hope using VMWare first
> can help me avoid some of such costs. For example, like you mentioned
> about 2 UARTs, since I already use one UART for remote debugging, I
> better select hardware kit with more than 2 UARTs (for sensor
> interface). Now with Eclipse plug-in and GDB working in my
> environment, I plan to shift focus to hardware part.
>

> Although RTEMS currently does not support the gigabit ethernet on the
> hardware kit that I have in mind, I'm still interested in how you made
> GDB server interface via TCP/IP work in RTEMS. To my understanding,
> RTEMS is a system with single process, and GDB server is another
> process, so how do you launch GDB server in RTEMS?

It runs as a thread.  There is another way of doing things using CEXP
and dynamic loading
of your application.  This ends up working a lot like people are used to
with VxWorks.

Network drivers are often ported over from NetBSD or FreeBSD since the
RTEMS TCP/IP
stack is an old FreeBSD one.  Till Straumann has mentioned having a
kit/procedure for
making this moderately painless.

Which GigE NIC is it?

> Robert, what we did was a custom implementation of a GDB Server
> interface inside SIS (SPARC Instruction Simulator) through a TCP/IP
> socket. So the RTEMS program (running on the SIS) is not aware about
> this interface. RTEMS already has a glue code to implement the GDB
> interface for some targets, including i386, but not for SPARC processors.
>

> You also mentioned GPIO simulation with PC's parallel port. For the
> hardware kits I have in mind, some have 4-bit In/4-bit OUT GPIO, some
> don't. I checked Discrete Driver chapter in RTEMS BSP and Device
> Driver Development Guide. There are descriptions about the driver, but
> no concrete example code is given. Do you know where I can find such a
> concrete example? Also in c\src\lib\libbsp\i386\shared\comm\i386_io.h,
> there some macros like outp(port, val) and inp(port) calling assembly
> code directly. May such macros be used to access GPIO pins directly
> without using the discrete driver?

The RTEMS powerpc gdb has psim which can map UNIX shared memory into
simulated PowerPC
processor address space.  When using this, you can do all IO into shared
memory and let a UNIX
process mirror IO in and out.

--joel