plugin first steps

Robert Fu robert.fu at live.com
Tue Nov 25 08:28:03 UTC 2008

Hi Chris,

> I have not followed in detail where they are getting the info from but > Makefiles would concern me.

Yes, this part need be re-examed. I also had some concerns initially,
and worried that the Makefile referenced might not be generic enough.
Also currently no additional processing is done after the link step.

I checked the BSP config files after you mentioned it, and it
looks like we can extract some information there. I also have a couple
of questions:

1. The configure command I used was:

/opt/src/rtems/rtems-4.9.0/configure --target=i386-rtems4.9 --enable-rtemsbsp=pc686 --enable-cxx --enable-rdbg --prefix=/opt/rtems_install
And I got the following in \opt\rtems_install\i386-rtems4.9\pc686\make\bsp.cfg

#### Does this BSP support RTEMS's remote debugger ?##HAS_RDBG = no
And the following in target.cfg;

RTEMS_HAS_RDBG = no

Which is wrong? My configure option or the cfg files?

2. It looks like the Makefiles in the those sample programs (e.g., HelloWorld)
   contains extra defined symbols determined by the configure script for
   sample program. The following is an example:

   DEFS = ...... -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_CSTDIO=1 -DHAVE_CSTDLIB=1 -DHAVE_IOSTREAM=1
I thought these symbols indicate the capability of the target gcc system.
None of such symbols is included in the installed BSP files. When we compile
user programs, should we include these symbols like what's in those sample
programs?

3. For "CFLAGS= -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT -shared-libgcc"
   It's said that RTEMS is linked statically, so "-shared-libgcc" should not be used.
   Should "-shared-libgcc" be used? Is "-D_REENTRANT" needed?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Robert Fu