BOOTP/DHCP and hostname (revisited)

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Tue Oct 28 04:42:39 UTC 2008

The question below was asked on the list some time ago but never got a
reply. I have also been trying to figure out the same question.

Right now I have a non-RTEMS Macraigor jtag debugger box on my local
network. I have given it a hostname "mpdemon" since that is what the
product is. The host name is originally entered through the serial
console on the jtag box. I have also configured the jtag box to obtain
its IP address with DHCP (static is the other option). When the box
powers up it obtains its address from my server (as I would expect) and
it is ping-able and it webpage is accessible using the name mpdemon (or
the longer name mpdemon.mylocaldomain). My DNS server (dnsmasq) was
never told about the name "mpdemon" but now understands it when used by
any host.

As the question below points out, in RTEMS networkconfig.h you can't
seem to specify the hostname when BOOTP (really DHCP?) is enabled. So is
it possible to do in RTEMS what the Macraigor jtag box can do using DHCP
(automatically make its hostname known in DNS)?

-gene