Getting started with FAT Filesystem on SD/MMC cards over SPI

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 11 17:42:00 UTC 2008

Hello,

My hardware provides support for SD/MMC flash cards over SPI, so now I
need to implement suitable drivers for this.  Because it would need to
be read by Windows machines, and because it is sufficient for my
application, it seems the dosfs is the way to go.

I've got a low level SPI driver for my BSP (powerpc/virtex under RTEMS
4.8), and I've written some chip drivers on top of that, so I'm
comfortable with the SPI level.

But where do I go from here?

   1. How do I "include" the dosfs in my application?  Is it a matter of
      #define CONFIGURE_ macros, and if so, which?  (As an aside, is
      there one central place where all these macros are defined?  If
      so, I haven't found it...)
   2. How do I get dosfs to work via the SPI bus?  What must my driver
      look like?

Any pointers or roadmap well appreciated - TIA
-Bob

P.S. Sounds like a request for a "HowTo" on my part - I'd be happy to
write one for the Wiki...