mvme167 help request

Thu Sep 11 16:01:19 UTC 2008

Chris Johns wrote:
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am resurrecting a donated mvme167 system
>> for the RTEMS lab and have some issues.  When
>> it boots, the board prints this:
>>
>> WARNING: Configuration Data Failure (Invoke 'ENV' Command)
>> WARNING: Board Configuration Data Failure
>>
>> Any suggestions on that?  Is there a battery that
>> needs to be replaced.  The date on the board is
>>
>> MVME167 Debugger/Diagnostics Release Version 1.4 - 07/22/92
>>

> There is a battery and NVRAM. The ENV command is used to control his. This is
> documented in the 167bug.pdf manual:
>
>   http://www.ing.iac.es/~docs/external/vme/167bug.pdf

Thanks.  The original RTEMS BSP was the mvme135/136 so for
better or worse, I still remember Bug.  We debugged RTEMS for
years in assembly language using that. :)

Some people answered privately so I want to follow up publicly.

+ It appears that the "ST MK48T08B-15 Timekeeper" needs to
    be replaced.  We have two MVME167C boards and this part
    is the same and dead in both.   I  am not sure but I think this
    was the 150 nanosecond part variant and I think this MAY
    be a replacement.  Could someone confirm that?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=497-2829-5-ND

Hopefully someone can confirm that the above is what I want
so I can order it.

+ The transition module was a MVME712C BUT that turns out to
    probably not be a problem.  (see Note 1) I realized we had another
    VME system  (remains of a black Motorola UNIX box) with an MVME167 \
    in it along with the transition module for RJ-45 Ethernet.  We will just
    need to build one of those RJ serial console cables for it.  I have
    the one we are using with the MVME162 so I can test it first.
    So I think the transition module is not an issue.

Note 1: We have a few discarded VME systems that I am nearly through
    cannibalizing and adding to the lab.  It looks like there will be two
    empty cages if someone has a PowerPC VME board that HAS a BSP
   and works they would like to send us. :)

>> If I get past that, then the 712 transition module
>> has coax for Ethernet.  We have 15-pin to RJ45 transceivers
>> and coax to 15 pin but the 15 pins are obviously the
>> same sex (male) so we can't connect them in series
>> to get to RJ-45.  This is a dinosaur.  Does someone
>> have the part in their desk drawer? Or a URL to point
>> me to. :-D
>>

> The 15 pin connector will be an AUI interface so you can use something like
> these AUI to RJ45 converters:
>
>   http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=KT-10T
>
> I think coaxial is just another level of complexity to fail at some later stage.

This makes me glad I found the other transition module. :-D

Chris .. did you get a chance to try the MVME162?