General PTY and CONSOLE question

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Fri Sep 19 17:04:42 UTC 2008

Does a PTY driver require the console driver? When I remove
CONSOLE_DRIVER_TABLE_ENTRY from the Device_drivers[] array I get no pty
login. Are they somehow tied together? Examples I have seen on the list
have the both.

I need to run with my UART h/w disabled (I can't have it on, I need its
I/O ports for other functions). However I would still like the PTY
login/shell to be working (for now).

The other problem also might be that print[kf] calls are still present
in the code. printk still tries to send chars to the uart even when
CONSOLE is gone. I am not sure about printf.

Thanks,
-gene