Executable size

Wed Dec 23 16:17:49 UTC 2009

On 12/23/2009 09:38 AM, Leon Pollak wrote:
> On Wednesday December 23 2009, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
>
>> Leon,
>>
>> AFAIK the debug inforamtion added to the ELF file goes much more into
>> details now. So maybe this can be a reason. Are the 4.5Meg the ELF file
>> size or the code size? If it is the debug info, you may want to strip it
>> with *objcopy.
>>
> This is what I meant - after objcpy I received 4.5MiB.
> I look also in the map file and see there these 4MiB size of text section
> only!

Just to confirm.. when you do size on it, the .text is 4.5 MB and
what was it before?  I trust size. :)

If so, do you see any symbols which indicate subsystems which
are in the new one and not in the old one?

In general, applications should be smaller now.  Maybe not a lot,
but some.  So this is surprising. Debug information should be larger.
Real code should be smaller.

 From here, we will need to:

+ compare map files for surprises
+ look at configuration (e.g. ../configure and your RTEMS configuration)
+how you link

--joel