Choice of the API for RTEMS v4.8 as a future partition OS for a new LEON compatible open source hypervisor

Metge Jean-Jacques jean-jacques.metge at cnes.fr
Thu Jan 29 17:40:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

We are currently starting the porting of RTEMS v4.8 on top of a new LEON
compatible open source hypervisor (XtratuM), which is itself in charge
of ensuring the basic principles of time & space partitioning inherited
from the ARINC653 standard.
This specific "RTEMS v4.8 for XtratuM" version, associated to XtratuM
hypervisor (LEON version) will constitute the core of a future open
source modular software & framework dedicated to space applications, and
more particularly to scientific payloads.
We need to choose the API for this future "RTEMS v4.8 for XtratuM"
version, and we are currently hesitating between the native RTEMS API
(widely used in the space domain) and the POSIX API (less used in the
space domain, but obviously more adapted to the practices of the science
domain, that we are currently targetting with this development).

Could anybody provide general comparative information between RTEMS API
and POSIX API for the v4.8 branch, in terms of :
- performances
- maturity
In a more general way, any feeback on POSIX API of RTEMS v4.8 will be
highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Regards

Jean-Jacques