Rtems for a space project

Massimo Tipaldi mtipaldi at cgspace.it
Mon Jan 12 16:56:40 UTC 2009

Joel,

I have compiled my hello.exe in
/d/opt/rtems-4.9/examples-4.9.1/hello_world_c.

The hello.exe produced during Rtems compilation is located in
/d/opt/src/rtems/i386/i386-rtems4.9/c/pc386/testsuites/samples.

Wherever I execute my hello.exe, I get always the message "no multibooot
header found".

On the contrary, the RTEMS hello.exe always works, wherever it is located.

Provided that I move the rtems-grub.cfg in the right location, I have
the same behaviuor: the wrong hello.exe is always wrong, the right is
always right.

I have tried to use your script, but it does not work.

My opinion is that QEMU has been correctly configured.

The problem lies on my hello.exe (which is not is not an ELF file) or on
Windows.

Massimo

Joel Sherrill ha scritto:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Massimo Tipaldi schrieb:
>>
>>> Dear Ralf,
>>>
>>> for all the steps that I have perfomed, see my e-mails on rtems-users
>>> (find Massimo Tipaldi);
>>>
>>  > In particular, take a look at:
>>
>>> 1) RTEMS/QEMU/GRUB on Windows (07 Jan 2009 11:03:52 +0100)
>>> 2) RTEMS/QEMU/GRUB on Windows (08 Jan 2009 16:49:58 +0100)
>>>
>> Sigh, RTEMS+QEMU+GRUB + Window... at least 4 non-trivial sources of
>> issues at one time.
>>

> Agreed.  I built 4.9 over the weekend at home (on Linux
> admittedly) and it produced the same format files
> for an installed RTEMS that it did for executables built inside
> the tree.
>
> Since you mention moving the executable from one location
> to another, is it possible, you broke the qemu setup doing so?
> qemu is very sensitive to having everything right.
>
> This is the command my scripts use.
>
> qemu -cpu 486 -m 8 -boot a -fda /home/joel/qemu/pc386_fda \
>  -hda fat:/home/joel/qemu/hd \
>  -monitor null -nographic -serial stdio --no-reboot
>
> I have a floppy image that boots test.exe from the hd0.  This
> is the grub menu for the above.
>
> timeout=0
> default=0
> serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
> terminal serial
> title=  Automatically Run Test
> kernel= (hd1,0)/test.exe
>
> RTEMS is configured to USE_COM1_AS_CONSOLE=1.
>

>> Have you tried on Linux, have you tried on real hardware (no QEMU),
>> does your grub/qemu/windows setup work without RTEMS ... etc. Which
>> target, which Windows version, which toolchains ?
>>

>>> For the modifications on Makefile.inc, see
>>> 1) QEMU/GRUB: No multiboot header found (22 Dec 2008 16:22:28 +0100)
>>> (the only difference is that RTEMS is now installed in
>>> d:\opt\src\rtems\i386\)
>>>
>> Makefile.inc is a different class of problem.
>>
>> My personal answer to all Makefile.inc related problems: I refuse to
>> answer any Makefile.inc related issues, because I consider RTEMS
>> Makefile-template system to be mal-designed kid-stuff, RTEMS should
>> have stopped dropped a long time ago ;)
>>
>> Ralf

Eng. Massimo Tipaldi
Technical Directorate
SW Principal Engineer

Carlo Gavazzi Space SpA
Via Tiengo, snc - 82100 Benevento BN - Italy
Tel: + 39 0824481733
Fax: +39 0824481730
e-mail: mtipaldi at cgspace.it
www.cgspace.it

<< Le informazioni contenute  in  questo messaggio  di posta elettronica
e relativi allegati sono  riservate  e confidenziali  e  ne  e vietata
la diffusione in qualunque modo eseguita. Qualora Lei non fosse la
persona a cui il presente messaggio e destinato, La invitiamo ad
eliminarlo e a darcene gentile comunicazione.Quanto precede ai fini del
rispetto delle Legge 675/96 e del Decreto Legislativo 30/06/2003 n.196,
sulla tutela dei dati personali >>

<< This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.
Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this
message from your system.  Please do not copy it or use it for any
purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person:  to do so could
be a breach of confidence.  Thank you for your co-operation.  Please
contact our IT Helpdesk on +3902380481 or email
ml_servizi.informatici at cgspace.it if you need assistance>>