e1000 network driver for pc386

Fri Jun 19 15:27:30 UTC 2009

Till Straumann wrote:
> This driver (and a few others) are now in the OAR CVS repository
> (but not inside the main RTEMS tree [yet]):
>
> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at www.rtems.com:2401/usr1/CVS co libbsdport
>
> One reason for these drivers still being outside of the main tree
> is that they require support for shared IRQs. This is currently
> available for (select) PPC BSPs but not i386 (<= rtems4.9; the
> CVS head does have shared IRQs AFAIK, so if you you work
> with the head then you don't need libbspExt). This means
> that you require a small helper library 'libbspExt' which you
> can download here (again: this is only required if your BSP
> doesn't have shared IRQ support).

FYI rtems 4.9 branch has shared interrupt support on the
i386.  It was not much code and I added it.  I would recommend
extracting the patch from CVS if you want it on a release
4.9.x unless you are willing to work on the 4.9 branch
from CVS.
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~strauman/rtems/rtems_libbspExt_1.5.tgz
>
> Unpack this in the 'libbsdport' directory and create a symlink (or rename
> the libbspExt_1_5 directory)
>
> ln -s libbspExt_1_5  libbspExt
>
> Since you checked-out from CVS you must now use autoconf/automake
> to create 'configure' & friends. You must do this *after* unpacking
> libbspExt -- make sure you have up-to-date versions of autoconf/automake
> (e.g., the ones that come with the RTEMS toolchain) and that they
> are in your PATH, then do
>
> chdir libbsdport
> autoreconf -i
>
> Now you are ready for building. Make sure the cross-toolchain is in your
> PATH
> *before* configuring.
>
> mkdir build-i386-rtems
> chdir build-i386-rtems
> ../configure --with-rtems-top=<rtems_target_installdir>
> make
>
> The '<rtems_target_installdir>' points to where you installed
> RTEMS, i.e., librtemscpu.a must be found in
>
> <rtems_target_installdir>/<arch>/<bsp>/lib/librtemscpu.a
>
> (configure checks for all installed <arch> / <bsp> combinations and
> configures libbsdport for each one that is supported)
>
> You can control where the built libraries and headers are installed
> by using the standard --prefix, --exec-prefix, --libdir, ... configure
> options but there is also a dedicated option
>
> --enable-std-rtems-installdirs
>
> which causes libraries and headers to go into
>
> <rtems_target_installdir>/<arch>/<bsp>/lib
> and
> <rtems_target_installdir>/<arch>/<bsp>/lib/include
>
> respectively, i.e., they end up where the vanilla RTEMS
> libraries+headers are (you don't need --prefix or any other
> option if you use --enable-std-rtems-installdirs).
>
> More info can be found in INSTALL.
>
> USAGE: To use these drivers your app must
>
> - specify a device name in "rtems_bsdnet_ifconfig":
>    "" (empty string acts as a wild card, i.e., the first
>   suitable device + driver combination are used).
>   More info can be found in libbsdport_api.h.
> - specify 'libbsdport_netdriver_attach' as the 'attach'
>   function in "rtems_bsdnet_ifconfig"
> - link -lbsdport
> - link all desired drivers that should be built into
>   the application, e.g., -lif_em, -lif_fxp, ...

FWIW the network-demos have a networkconfig-qemu.h
which has the network configuration required now.  You
will have to define USE_LIBBSDPORT.

I use this driver all the time.