Ada support in RTEMS, was: Re: Newbie to RTEMS: ADA support issue

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Jun 19 17:12:46 UTC 2009

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 19/06/2009, Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> wrote:
>>
>>>  I guess you won't like what I will say now:
>>>
>>>  My advice: Forget about Ada and forget about RTEMS/Ada.
>>>

>> I know that over the years you have expressed annoyance at the issues
>> involved in building gcc with Ada support. However, the above is a
>> more stronger comment than I remember you making previously. :-)
>>
> Ralf is not an Ada fan. :-)

Well, it's the experience of many years (ca. a decade) of building RTEMS
and GCC toolchains.

Also, I meanwhile me having re-added rtems-ada to the RTEMS source-tree
some years ago (code OAR had abandoned), to be a personal mistake of
mine. Otherwise, RTEMS Ada would have been dead for many years.

>> Are there any actual plans to drop Ada support in RTEMS ?
>>
> No.  It is actually in better shape than it has been
> in years.  The Ada in GCC itself will build multilib
> versions of the run-time now.

Yes, after many, many years, one major road block to providing GCC Ada
rpms finally has been ironed out in GCC ... other still persist.

> This was always a
> requirement for adding them to the RPMs.
Please try, building gcc-4.4.0 w/ Ada enabled on older systems, ... it's
great fun. ... My patience with GCC Ada is over!

> I personally know of real Ada applications on PowerPC,
> x86, and ARM.
Well, ... of course ... you must say this.

Ralf