Microseconds per tick

mike antispam21 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 18:34:09 UTC 2009

- On Leon2, there is a PRESCALER register that drives 2 timers. The
prescaler is driven by
the CPU clock (1 cpu clock -> 1 prescaler count). When the prescaler
underflows, it decreases
the timers by 1 count and when the timer1 underflows, it generates 1
tick (and this
this the system tick).  The number in
#define CONFIGURE_MICROSECONDS_PER_TICK is used to reload the TIMER1
and the bsp assumes that TIMER1 is driven by 1 microsecond pulse, which
is not always
correct, depending on what PRESCALER was originally loaded.

- In your case, for example, your cpu clock is 80 MHz. If you programmed
the prescaler
with 79, when the prescaler underflows (counting down) after 80 cpu
clocks, it decreases
the timers by 1 count (1 microsecond). So if you #define
CONFIGURE_MICROSECONDS_PER_TICK
100, then it loads 100 into TIMER1 register, and after it counts down
every 100 counts (100 microseconds),
TIMER1 generates 1 system tick.  However, if you programmed the
prescaler to any
different value (799 for example, to generate 10-microsecond pulses),
your system tick
is still 100, but it'll be 100 x 10 = 1000 microseconds system tick.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to reconfigure the prescaler by
#define without
having to explicitly program it myself (currently I'm doing it
explicitly in the bootrom).

-mike-