Real Time Clock

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon May 11 12:03:26 UTC 2009

Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> if I got Sebastians proposal right, he tends to convert the existing
> functions proprietary to the RTC drivers into "Classic API" driver
> calls, which can then be accessed through the I/O manager API. Among
> others benefits, this will clean up that interface (no longer a
> proprietary function set).
>
> Accessing these drivers with the POSIX standard functions
> (open/read/write/close) will then be possible without problem.
>
> Please note: we are NOT talking about SW timers, we are taking about the
> hardware device "Real-Time-Clock".
I am taking about API's, independently of whether they are implemented
in HW or SW.

> Do you have a pointer to a proper POSIX API to access such a device?

Off hand, I don't know if RTEMS has them, but POSIX has rtc-timer
functions: timer_create, timer_gettime, timer_delete, timer_settime ...

NB: Recently, POSIX has been updated:
POSIX-2008 is out: http:/www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/

Ralf