rename issue

Tue May 5 11:16:49 UTC 2009

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sebastian caught me in IRC today and pointed out
>> that something has changed which made rename
>> compile into an infinite loop.  I think I have
>> tracked it down to this change in newlib.  This
>> would not impact 4.9 since newlib 1.16 wouldn't
>> have this patch.
>>
> Well, it's great to see people duplicating work ;)

Well not much work. I asked Sebastian if you knew
and he said you did.  Didn't fix it. :)

>>   But it would be in the 1.17
>> newlib.
>>
> Right, AFAICT, it affects all newlib-1.17.0 based rtems gccs, not only
> gcc-4.4.0.

That matches what I thought.

>> 2008-03-27 Patrick Mansfield <patmans at us.ibm.com>
>>
>>     * libc/include/reent.h: Define _func_r functions in this file to
>>     func if REENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED and MISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES are
>>     defined.
>>
>> Patrick's change resulted in this macro being tripped
>> for the XXX_r methods.
>>
>> #define _rename_r(__reent, __old, __new)          rename(__old, __new)
>>
>> I think we need to drop -DMISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES from
>> *-*-rtems* in newlib/configure.host.
>>
>> Ralf.. if my analysis is right, then that is two issues
>> driving a tool rebuild. :(
>>

> Sebastian had pinged me on this issue on PM some time last week and I
> pointed him to the reent.h in response.
>
> However, I haven't had any chance to look deeper into this, because I
> had been AFK most of the time Wednesday through Monday (yesterday), ...
> and am still suffering from backlog effects of the rtems.org mail server
> screwup ;)

I figured as much since I hadn't heard much from you either.

I'm still suffering backlog from the move, spider bite, and
the class. I still am also not used to the new office.  Yesterday
I spent 20 minutes looking for why a board wouldn't load
executables and then remembered I had only set the board
on my desk -- hadn't put a network cable on it yet. LOL!

Looks like we are heading for a new spin of the 4.10 tools
soon.

  + drop - DMISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES from configure.host
  + ALIGN issue not being 8 on SPARC
  + inttypes.h warning

Oh well.

--joel