RFC: Drop GoAHead / cpukit/httpd webserver?

Eric Valette Eric.Valette at Free.fr
Wed Nov 18 10:59:28 UTC 2009

On 18/11/2009 10:03, Chris Johns wrote:
> Thanks Eric. The following is not specifically directed at you rather
> they are general questions we should consider.
As far as I'm concerned: I'm not using goahead anymore and I agree it is
dead code that can be dropped. I dunno about the licence but I'm sure at
the time (7 years ago!) we checked and got an official statement we can
include the code in RTEMS without problem. The replacement I would
personally choose is appweb. Note that there are many project still
using this code. A well known one is XBMC but there are others...
> This whole site leaves me concerned. They state the license is GPL but
> you can obtain a commercial license which has a page headed
> "Commercial License Benefits". Huh did I miss something about open
> source ? To me this is not open source. I would not use it because any
> fixes or improvements I release would have to be licensed to them to
> be included up stream so they can enforce the commercial license
> otherwise they would have to include all contributors in the
> commercial agreements and that is commercially silly.
For me it is perfectly fine with open source. It was the same for qt,
mysql, and is still the same for many tools (e.g knowledge tree). If you
use the GPL version, you must respect the licence and give back any
change you make if you make a distribution following a proper disclamer
of right (as for code donated to the FSF). If you want to keep your
modification, get paid support, and not be affected by the GPL virality,
you may then buy a commercial licence.

> I think GoAhead should be removed from the tree on these grounds alone.
Do not mix goahed and appweb. As goahead public code was GPL and
unmaintained, someone picked it up and created appweb. A classical GPL
fork. Then if no single line of original code remains being bound by
initial developper licence...

-- eric