RFC: Drop GoAHead / cpukit/httpd webserver?

Paul Whitfield paulw at omnitronics.com.au
Fri Nov 20 00:00:58 UTC 2009

>> However, since it is dead upstream. I can not see that it
>> would be particularly onerous for us (or anyone else) to
>> maintain it as a separate library from RTEMS if support
>> is dropped.
>>
>> So despite "actively" using the Web-server, I still vote
>> for it to be removed so that other users don't get "trapped"
>> into using it.
>>
> That's pretty much my feeling. I am not particularly
> hostile to it technically. It is a practical maintenance
> matter.
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> PS: I don't suppose anyone on the list has done any work
>> on a "compatibility" layer to ease the pain for transitioning
>> to shttpd?
> What are you using in GoAhead? The httpd netdemo
> can initialize and use GoAhead, shttpd or mongoose.
>
> The initialization is fairly straightforward and the rest
> might be sed.

I have looked at converting to shttpd previously,
converting the actual web display functionality
looks straight forward, the main stumbling blocks
were the more complicated web functions

* Digest Authorisation (user log-in).
* different user names with access to different web pages functions
* processing form submissions -> we use the web server to configure
the product.
* downloading binary files (for firmware upgrading).

I did not realise that mongoose was an option, it looks
like it might be a better fit for us in the future...

No all I need is the time to try it out.

regards

Paul
--
Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.
http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg