RFC: Drop GoAHead / cpukit/httpd webserver?

Thu Nov 19 12:02:46 UTC 2009

Paul Whitfield wrote:
> On 18/11/2009 2:47 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The SC is considering to drop the GoAHead webserver (aka. cpukit/httpd)
>> from rtems-4.10, because
>>
>> * its upstream appears dead (IIRC, they went closed source)
>> * it suffers from severe design limitations and portability issues.
>> * its license is somewhat problematic.
>>
>> Q: Is anybody still actively using the RTEMS GoAHead httpd?
>>
>> Please speak up now, otherwise we might decide to remove it.
>>

> We are still using this module, and if I had the time I would
> love to remove it from our applications for all the reasons
> stated above.
>
> However, since it is dead upstream. I can not see that it
> would be particularly onerous for us (or anyone else) to
> maintain it as a separate library from RTEMS if support
> is dropped.
>
> So despite "actively" using the Web-server, I still vote
> for it to be removed so that other users don't get "trapped"
> into using it.

That's pretty much my feeling.  I am not particularly
hostile to it technically.  It is a practical maintenance
matter.
> Regards
>
> Paul
>
> PS: I don't suppose anyone on the list has done any work
> on a "compatibility" layer to ease the pain for transitioning
> to shttpd?

What are you using in GoAhead?  The httpd netdemo
can initialize and use GoAhead, shttpd or mongoose.

The initialization is fairly straightforward and the rest
might be sed.

--joel