Clock problem using newer 80Mhz uC8252 card

Andrei Chichak groups at chichak.ca
Thu Oct 22 20:22:01 UTC 2009

In the av5282 BSP start/start.S there is a section of code that sets
the SYNCR to give 5896000Hz.. In my BSP for Axiom's cml5282, I set
SYNCR for 64000000Hz.

In the uC5282 BSP, there is no code for setting  SYNCR, so it "should"
default to XTAL*4. If you have a 16MHz crystal, you get 64000000Hz.
Perhaps a patch would be prudent so that the processor IS running at
the expected frequency.

Andrei

On 2009-October-22, at 1:17 PM, Phillip Sorensen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We have purchased the newer 80Mhz Arcturus Networks uCdimm 5282 (bsp
> uC5282).  I have added "--defsym _CPUClockSpeed=80000000"
> to linker command line to change the value returned by the
> bsp_get_CPU_clock_speed() function.  This successfully  changes the
> settings for the
> serial ports so the console baud rate is correct.  However I
> discovered that the clock was running fast (about 15 seconds per
> minute).  Looking at
> the code in the clock/clock.c file in the uC5282 BSP, I discovered
> that the code assumed that the clock rate was a power of 2, and was
> using
> the PIT prescaler to count in microseconds.  Since 80 is not a power
> of two, the calculation was wrong.

---------------------
Andrei Chichak

Systems Developer