error at startup running Hello World Example in rtems 4.6.6 / erc32 bsp

Andrei Chichak groups at chichak.ca
Thu Sep 24 17:21:18 UTC 2009

Holy cow, just this morning I'm bringing up a new BSP in RTEMS 4.9 for
a Coldfire 5282 and I am currently trying to cure this exact same
problem.

Mine looks like the problem happens in a routine called
_Workspace_Handler_initialization. No further information yet, I'm
trying to single step it.

Andrei

On 2009-September-24, at 9:51 AM, Nicolas Horro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when downgrading from rtems 4.8.0 to rtems 4.6.6 I found that the
> "hello world" example in real hardware with ERC32 bsp fails at
> startup when executing the function
> RTEMS_Malloc_Initialize( heap_start, heap_size, use_sbrk ).
>
> The line that fails is the memset() call.
>
> if (!starting_address) {
>   if ( rtems_cpu_configuration_get_do_zero_of_workspace() )
>     memset( starting_address, 0, length ); /* <= error */
>
> I believe this error is caused because <starting_address> and
> <length> have invalid values:
>
> (gdb) x starting_address
> 0x2015e48:      0x00000000
>
> (gdb) x length
> 0x3d6c20:       0xffffffff
>
> but not sure about this.
>
> I tried to identify the changes between ERC32 BSP in RTEMS 4.8.0 (in
> which hello world example works ok) and RTEMS 4.6.6, but I'm not
> succeeding to understand the full startup project.
>
> I'm aware 4.6.6 is no longer being supported, but any tip on what to
> look for would be really appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nicolás Horro

---------------------