Porting RTEMS to an Freescale MC9328MX21 with ARM926EJ-S based chip

Fri Sep 25 19:16:07 UTC 2009

Pablo Salinas wrote:
> Hello there,
>                    Me and a couple of classmates are looking for a
> good Embedded Systems Design class project. One project idea is to
> port some RTOS into the board and cpu used in class.
>
> We use a TLL 6219 in-house Board with an ARM 926EJ-S
> <http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM926EJ-S.html> CPU inside a
> MC9328MX21 chipset. The project should be finished by the first week
> of December, therefore we have roughly 2 months and a half to work and
> finish it. All three of us have other assignments, therefore we
> wouldn't like to invest all our time in this project.

If you are comfortable with this sort of thing, it is definitely possible.

Do you have any type of jtag debugger for this setup?  Not a critical issue
but can help.
> Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys had experienced porting
> RTEMS into ARM based Boards. Currently, the board uses ARM Embedded
> Linux <http://www.arm.com/products/os/linux.html> as the non-RTOS, and
> MicroMonitor <http://microcross.com/html/micromonitor.html> as the
> Boot Loader.

Do you have the MicroMonitor source for this board?  If so, then it will go
a long way to helping you get a basic BSP functional.  It will already have
a lot of functional IO code.
> We all are very knowledgeable of C programming and have good
> background in Computer Architecture. So, to all of you that had ported
> RTEMS to an ARM architecture, how feasible do you think this project
> is? We don't care about having full OS functionality, just the minimum
> (Process Scheduling, Memory Management, etc) with a basic user
> interface that would allow to run a simple application that would show
> that actually the OS is real-time.

Minimum is:

+ linker script
+ start code
+ polled serial IO
+ clock tick
+ clean exit

I think you can do that especially if you can leverage
MicroMonitor for working code.

--joel