Problem with GCC 4.5.0 and canadian cross compilation

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Apr 13 15:56:59 UTC 2010

On 04/13/2010 03:49 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had problems building GCC 4.5.0 under MinGW/MSYS, so I tried to build the
> cross compiler for the Windows host with a Linux build machine.  The Windows
> cross compiler is:
>
> i686-w64-mingw32-gcc (GCC) 4.4.4 20100409 (prerelease)
Where does this toolchain stem from?

Is this an attempt on mingw64 toolchain?

AFACT, mingw64 is still way off from being usable.

> The standard MinGW tool chain from:
>
> ftp://www.rtems.com/pub/rtems/mingw32/4.11
>
> does not seem to have this problem.
What is it that you can't use them?

>  Can someone give me a hint?   Which cross
> compiler for Windows was used for the standard MinGW tool chain?

Building a mingw32 or cygwin Mingw32->rtems cross-toolchain
on Linux actually is triple-leaf Canadian Cross building

This means, there are several toolchains involved:
a) A linux native gcc
b) A linux->mingw32 cross-toolchain
c) A Linux->rtems cross toolchains

The toolchains in
ftp://www.rtems.com/pub/rtems/mingw32/4.11 are built on Fedora-13-i386
and involve
a) Fedora's native gcc
b) Fedora's Linux->mingw32 toolchain
c) My Linux->rtems toolchains

Also, special care needs to be taken about dependency libs and about
CFLAGS being used. My guess would be, when you check your logs you'd
likely discover failures.

Ralf