FTP client API

Mon Apr 26 21:06:56 UTC 2010

On 04/26/2010 10:38 AM, Leon Pollak wrote:
> On Monday April 26 2010, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>
>>   Under LGPLv3 it seems to be possible to redistribute the LGPL'ed source
>> code together with the other binary object files, as long as it is possible
>> for the recipient to modify the the LGLP'ed library and link it with the
>> rest.
>>
> This was my understanding of the issue, but I trusted Joel as much more
> authoritative source in such kind of questions...:-)

That's the requirement under LGPLv2 so I assume it didn't change.

We have just traditionally viewed this as imposing a requirement
on the end user's application and we avoid doing this in code
that is in the RTEMS tarball.

I like to use the example of LGPL code in an automobile
controller of some sort.  Do you think you will be able to
go down to your local Ford or BMW dealer and get the
"source and relinking kit"?  Do you think their lawyers
will even want to consider the possibility?

In some domains and some applications, it isn't a big
deal but in others, it is a no go IMHO.  So we avoid that
license.  But for a good add-on library with no alternative,
it might be an option.

--joel