Downloading "powerpc-rtems4.10 gcc" for a few hours on Fedora 12

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Apr 29 14:57:57 UTC 2010

On 04/29/2010 04:16 PM, Peter Dufault wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 10:09 , Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> You seeing -9 instead of -10 means you were checking an out-of sync mirror still carrying -9 while yum was trying to download -10 from the master - yum doing so is one of the bugs in yum, mentioned above.
>>
> I meant I found a file using "locate" with the same name but "-9".  I was trying to find out where the downloaded files were put to see how it had been going.
>
>>> Where can I find the partially downloaded file to see how it's going?
>>
>> ftp://ftp.rtems.{org,info,eu}/pub/rtems/linux/<rtemsversion>/fedora/12/<architecture>/
>
> I meant where were the files on my system.

On Fedora you normally install files using yum.

i.e. yum install <packagename>
e.g. yum install rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-gcc

Internally, in a first step yum downloads a repository's "metadata",
i.e. e.g. the files inside of
ftp://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/linux/4.10/fedora/12/x86_64/repodata

It processes this "metadata" and then downloads the *.rpms requires to
fullfill your "install request" (This might comprise a chain of
dependencies).

In a default F12 configuration, it (temporarily) stores ("cashes" these
files into a directory below /var/cache/yum/

In case of the rtems-4.10 repository, this would be
/var/cache/yum/rtems-4.10

> But this is even better - can you tell me where to put those files on my system so that I can retrieve them,
Anywhere you want them :)

But you'd use "yum localinstall" instead of "yum install", then
e.g.

yum localinstall \
rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-gcc-4.4.4-1.x86_64.rpm \
rtems-4.10-powerpc-rtems4.10-newlib-1.18.0-18.noarch.rpm

> put them in the correct place, and then see if the update works?  Obviously "yum update" checks to see if the files are there before fetching them.

The details are bit more difficult :)

I guess, what you actually want is running yum with a "hot cache",
i.e. to keep the files below /var/cache/yum between yum runs and reuse
them when needed.

The trick to achieve this is to set
keepcache=1
in /etc/yum.conf.

With this option set, /var/cache/yum/* will fill with all packages you
install (c.f. man 5 yum.conf).

Ralf