bootpc_call() times out

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Feb 16 01:10:38 UTC 2010

On 2/16/2010 8:03 AM, Chris Johns wrote:
> Till Straumann wrote:
>> Chris Johns wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you place the call in a loop ?
>> IMHO bootpc_init() should then repeatedly call bootpc_call().
>
> What if a parameter is added to bootp_init to control looping for ever
> on an error and the rtems_bsdnet_do_bootp and
> rtems_bsdnet_do_bootp_and_rootfs set the parameter to true ?

Working on the patch I noticed there are a couple of holes where the
socket in bootpc_init is not closed. I will plug these.

There is another issue. There are cases where the hardware address may
not be found for some reason or there is no valid interface. Should
bootpc_init return an error code and in the rtems_bsdnet_do_bootp etc
call it should panic on error ? This would handle the case of a boot
issue with some hardware that recovers on a reset.

Chris