Network packets loss

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Wed Jan 20 15:41:02 UTC 2010

Hello to network gurus...:-)

I have the test box sending 25,000 UDP packets of 1450 bytes length (at about
600KB/s) numbered by counter in the first byte of the packet.

My application (RTEMS 4.8.0 MPC8260 at 250MHz) receives packets and counts
received packets and lost packets if any.
And there are lost packets!
The application says that it sees 20 packets lost and received 24,980 packets
in one test.

I read the network statistics and see that the Ethernet controller received
25,000 packets of greater then 1024 bytes - those are my box packets.

Where have these 20 packets went to?
There are no errors in any RMON counter, no errors in UDP statistics.
The only one strange thing I see is the number of "of above, arrived as
broadcast" which is VERY large (14562) and can not be correct (when I was too
busy in the application, additional string in UDP statistics appeared saying
something like "dropped because receiving buffer overflow", but this is not
the case now).

Please, help!!!
Where can be another hole in the stack which drops my packets?
Many many thanks ahead.
--
Leon.