Network setup problem in a x86 target (RTEMS 4.9.2)

Wed Jan 20 15:01:02 UTC 2010

On 01/20/2010 08:55 AM, Angel.Munoz.Cantera at esa.int wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Apologies if this question has been posed before.
>
> I am trying to get a workable environment for RTEMS-Apps development
> (rev. 4.9.2). The target CPU is a Pentium M, 1.4 GHz (x86
> architecture) in a PC104 which is going to be part of an embedded
> system for robotic applications. Everything works fine, including the
> upload of the image from the host with Etherboot, except for the
> network setup on the target.. Oddly, the network commands (ifconfig,
> netstats, route) are missing in  RTEMS "shell" (I'm using the
> fileio.exe demo application). I have changed the network driver in the
> bsp.h (libbsp of pc386)  to ne2000, as this is the only one which does
> not crash  when running the "netdemo" apps, but anyway no network
> commands can be found in the shell.
>
> Configuration flags: - - target = i386-rtems4.9   - -
> enable-networking   - - enable-rtemsbsp="pc386"  - -
> prefix=/opt/rtems-4..9/

Are you running on qemu?
> In fact I've tried configuring the system for all the available bsps,
> with no success at all. The network interface of the target is a Fast
> Ethernet 10/100, Intel 82562 chipset.
This is very likely newer than what the Intel driver in the code base
supports.  You will have to use Till's libbsd kit (libbsd-port RTEMS CVS
module).  This driver is much newer and supports newer chips.
> BTW, I get compilation errors if I add the symbol
> CONFIGURE_SHELL_COMMANDS_ALL_NETWORKING to fileio/init.c or even to
> shellconfig.h.

This works with the telnetd network-demo.  fileio is not setup as a
networked
application so this is not particularly surprising.