Help building cross-compiler gcc with newlib, target powerpc

Angus Gratton angus.gratton at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 14 23:56:36 UTC 2010

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for writing back so quickly.

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 09:20 +0200, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> did you try the RPMs? It is considerable easier to use the RPMs.

Yes! I was in fact using the toolchain from the Fedora RPMs, installed
via 'alien' (very straightforward), and they worked fine until I tried
to build an EPICS IOC application.

Then, it looked to me like some POSIX symbols are missing somewhere -
for example POSIX signal.h is there but linker found no 'signal' symbol
in the library (and I couldn't find it either using nm). Maybe I was
doing it wrong, though.

I then started yak shaving. My plan was to build everything from source
- using the recommended configure flags for EPICS - and see how I went
then, before digging deeper and possibly reporting the issue I saw in
the RPMs. Which is when I got stuck.

> newlib -> ../newlib-1.18.0-patched/newlib

Ah, yes. That would be the problem.

The "EPICS on RTEMS" PDFs has a typo in the symlink line, which I
misinterpreted to mean targeting the symlink at one level higher.

Now I look at the official RTEMS guide, it says exactly what you've
written here. Re-symlinked, compiled successfully, no problems.

Thank you!

- Angus