libi2c: extra parameters needed for low-level SPI driver

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Jun 9 09:25:54 UTC 2010

 Hoi all,

 I'm porting our old RTEMS 4.7 application to the upcoming RTEMS 4.10.  In
the process, I'd like to use the new libi2c rather than our own hacked-
together SPI driver.  However, I'm running in a bit of difficulty here when
it comes to setting the channel parameters.

 Just to jog your memory, libi2c uses the following procedure to perform an
SPI transfer:

 send_start(bus);                    // Acquire bus lock
 ioctl(bus, SET_TFRMODE, &mode);     // Set channel parameters
 send_addr(bus, cs, 1);              // Enable chip select cs for read/write
 ioctl(bus, START_READ_WRITE, &buf); // Do a read/write transfer
 ioctl(bus, START_READ_WRITE, &buf);
 send_stop(bus);                     // Release bus lock

 The SPI peripheral of our SoC has 4 pre-defined chip selects, each with its
own register to configure channel parameters.  Also, there are more channel
parameters than what is mentioned in the tfrmode struct, e.g. delay between
chip select and start of clock.

 With the current libi2c interface, we can't use these predefined channel
parameters because at the time the SET_TFRMODE ioctl is done, the chip
select to use is not known yet.  So we would have to program all four chip
selects.

 A second problem is that when I use a high-level i2c device driver, e.g.
spi-sd-card, it doesn't set the additional delay parameters.

 A third problem is that I need to use more than the four pre-defined chip
selects, i.e. some of the GPIO's are used as SPI chip select.  Up to now, we
used a callback for this that is set by the high-level device driver and
that is called by the SPI driver at the time it does a send_addr.  With
libi2c, I would need to pre-allocate a mapping from addresses to callbacks
to perform the actual chip select.

 I see two possible solutions for these issues:

1. A major rewrite of the libi2c interface, where the SET_TFRMODE ioctl and
send_addr are replaced by a single

 send_device_addr(bus, device_mode, 1);

and where device_mode is a struct like this:

typedef struct {
  uint32_t channel;
  void (*set_chip_select) (uint32_t address);
  rtems_libi2c_tfr_mode_t tfr_mode;
} rtems_libi2c_device_mode_t;

 The structure can be extended with low-level driver private data (e.g. my
delays).  High-level driver configuration structures (e.g.
sd_card_driver_entry) can have a pointer to this struct.

 Note that the high-level driver is obliged to use the
rtems_libi2c_send_device_addr(...) function, else there is no way to pass
the device parameter.

2. Use a fixed-size table in the low-level driver to map addresses to
device-specific information in a structure like rtems_libi2c_device_mode_t.
The SET_TFRMODE ioctl would then be ignored by the low-level driver.
Instead, the BSP must pass the device-specific information to the low-level
driver with a custom low-level function.

 This requires no change to the libi2c interface.  However, it does mean
there is no reuse of the scheme between different low-level drivers.  Also,
it means the low-level driver must have a fixed-size mapping table similar
to the driver table in libi2c.

 Does anybody have other suggestions?  Do you prefer one solution over the
other?  Are there issues I didn't consider in either solution?

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540