Simple Line Editor

Tue Mar 2 16:23:00 UTC 2010

On 03/02/2010 09:59 AM, Till Straumann wrote:
> Eric Norum wrote:
>
>> This looks like an interesting project.  As the web page says,
>> functionality somewhat like readline would be very useful.
>>
>> The one big requirement is that the code be reentrant to allow for
>> multiple ssh or telnet 'logins' to the RTEMS machine.  This is
>> currently the major shortcoming in readline (and the similar 'tecla'
>> project) since they rely on the termcap library which is non-reentrant.
>>
> You can build 'tecla' without using curses, ncurses or termcap and you get a
> very nice, re-entrant line editor (assumes/supports an ANSI terminal only).
>
> FWIW

That looks like a nice alternative. Any idea on how big the
resulting library is?

It might be better to

(1) verify this meets our technical requirements,
(2) port it.
(3) get it to build as part of cpukit.
(4) change shell/monitor methods to use it via providing
      new implementations of what they call.

There is no point in reinventing the wheel.

--joel