Simple Line Editor

Wed Mar 3 15:10:57 UTC 2010

On 03/02/2010 05:49 PM, Chris Johns wrote:
> Joel Sherrill wrote:

>>> You can build 'tecla' without using curses, ncurses or termcap and you
>>> get a
>>> very nice, re-entrant line editor (assumes/supports an ANSI terminal
>>> only).
>>>
>>> FWIW
>>>

>> That looks like a nice alternative. Any idea on how big the
>> resulting library is?
>>
> It does look like a nice library.
>

>> (1) verify this meets our technical requirements,
>>
> I think size is a very important issue. The shell could do with a weight loss
> program now and adding a line editor that is the same size as the shell is not
> going to help those users with memory constraints.
>
> I see the need for a fully featured line editor and it appears tecla offers
> that but I also see the need for a light weight very basic line editor. The
> project as it exists in the Wiki calls for a refactoring of the existing code
> and I think that project should exist as is. If we want to support other line
> editors in the shell then that is a different project and the shell should be
> modified to do this. A confdefs.h setting could set the line editor used.

Could the current GSOC project have a second phase to implement
the alternate use of tecla?

I am just thinking since this project is primarily refactoring and
documenting the existing line editor, it shouldn't add a lot of work
to be able to use an alternate "line entry" system.  And one could
be a very simple fgets() which would be no history, no real editing,
etc.  Even lighter.

So at the end, we would have shell with support for multiple
line entry subsystems and a way to configure them.

--joel