Joel Week of May 3

Sat May 1 13:53:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have jury duty next week.  Given the international
nature of the RTEMS community, let me explain.  In the
U.S., people are randomly drawn from the population
(usually based upon driver's license or voter registration)
to be part of the juror pool for a particular week.  If
selected from the pool to be a juror for a particular trial,
I will be in court for the duration of that trial.  The
jurors are responsible for determining if the defendant
is guilty.

I am legally obligated to do this. Sometimes you don't get
selected from the pool to serve on a jury and are dismissed
Monday or Tuesday.  Other times, the trial usually wraps
up in a few days.  But in extreme cases, the trial can
go on for months (see O.J. Simpson).  But long trials are
rare here.

So it is safe to assume that I will not be available most
of next week during the normal hours.  I will try to
check email at night.  If an emergency, those at OAR and
the Steering Committee know how to find me.  But since
I doubt I will be allowed use a cell phone while in court,
the responses will be limited.

--joel