Proposal: Switch arm-rtems to arm-eabi from arm-elf

Tue May 4 12:53:47 UTC 2010

On 05/04/2010 01:33 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/30/2010 03:20 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some of the recent ARM tool issues I have reported
>> have turned out to be non-existent in arm-eabi
>> derived targets.  We are arm-elf derived and IMO
>> it is time to move to arm-eabi.
>>
>> This is similar to transitions in the past from
>> COFF to ELF but I really don't know the specific
>> target impact.
>>
> I thought that the difference between arm-elf and arm-eabi is only the ABI and
> not the file format of the object file.

We will have to investigate and make a plan.  So this is definitely
a 4.11 issue.
>> Could some ARM experts enlighten me on the impact?
>>
> A Debian port uses the arm-eabi:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort
>
> Android also uses the arm-eabi.
>
> I don't know the exact differences.

I don't either except that the answer to the recent
problems I have reported to gcc is "I don't know about
arm-elf but arm-eabi works."
>> I think this needs to happen before 4.11 but I
>> am open to arguments that it needs to happen before
>> 4.10.  But the impact has to be light to consider
>> doing it at this stage in the game.
>>
> We should use arm-elf for 4.10 since there are currently no known problems with
> it.  Afterwards we can test the arm-eabi and may ship it with 4.11.

That's the way I was leaning since it is an unknown.

But if it had turned out to be trivial, known differences
that had no impact, it was worth considering sooner.

--joel