[GSoC project] Implementation of ISO9660 filesystem

Sebastien Bourdeauducq sebastien at milkymist.org
Mon Apr 4 09:44:56 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 10:25 +0200, Christophe Huriaux wrote:
> develop an ISO9660 filesystem implementation into RTEMS.

Have you had a look at the internal RTEMS filesystem APIs yet?

Maybe you'd like to start by improving them, instead of (painfully)
writing new code for the current APIs which will increase the cost of
switching to a more sane filesystem API in the future (which I hope will
happen).
In particular, the eval_path system should disappear (it means a lot of
code duplication, pain and C string manipulation woes and bugs which
could easily be avoided), and the filesystem lacks locking (e.g. opening
a file then deleting it from another task breaks the FS and may crash
the complete system).

A good example to draw ideas from is the FUSE API:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fuse/

Regards,
Sebastien

PS: I'm not participating in GSoC this year. I have simply ported YAFFS2
to RTEMS and I had a bad experience (in fact I'm still having it, we
recently found some more bugs which I suspect are eval_path related) due
to the poorly designed API. Just sharing my thoughts - deciding whether
to go with the current API or improving it isn't up to me.