Debugging with SIS and Eclipse

Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis fabricio at dea.inpe.br
Mon Apr 18 17:04:32 UTC 2011

Hi all,

What follows is not a RTEMS question, but I'm sure there is no better place
to ask this.

Some time ago, I've tried to debug RTEMS applications for the SIS BSP under
Eclipse. For some reason even GDB and Eclipse developers couldn't explain,
it didn't work. So I'm using DDD since them.

But as DDD development seems to be dead, I've decided to try again with
Eclipse Helios, and now it worked! Well, more or less...

When I start a debug session, my application is shown as running, but
nothing happens. The breakpoints are not reached, my printks don't show. I
command 'pause' and see that SIS had run exactly 3000 cycles. Then I command
'continue' and 'pause' and more exact 3000 cycles were executed. Again, and
more 3000 cycles.

No matter how much it takes between a 'continue' and the following 'pause' I
command, SIS is running and stopping every 3000 cycles, with no apparent
reason. This way the 'zerobss' startup routine will take forever to finish.

I couldn't find any SIS or GDB command that would do (or undo) this, nor an
Eclipse configuration. Also, this doesn't happen when the front-end is DDD.

Does anyone have a clue about what can be happening?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis - DEA / INPE
Onboard Data Handling Group - SUBORD
Aerospace Electronics Division
Brazilian National Institute for Space Research